Samsung PN58B550 - 58" Widescreen 1080p Plasma HDTV - 600Hz - .001ms Response Time - PN58B550T2F

8:39 PM Posted by Chaiyanan

Cheap Samsung PN58B550 - 58" Widescreen 1080p Plasma HDTV - 600Hz - .001ms Response Time - PN58B550T2F

The PN58B550 plasma HDTV is perfect for action-packed sports and movies. It uses new e-panel technology which reduces blurring and produces crisp, clear images. And 1080p high definition brings out the brilliance and clarity in everything you see. Plus its unique Touch of Color™ design turns it into a beautiful work of art. Enjoy a more realistic, thrilling movie night at home with this SAMSUNG plasma HDTV.

Technical Details


58-inch high definition TV with 1080p resolution

Four HDMI, two component, and one composite video input; two 15W bottom speakers and SRS TruSurround HD for a rich surround-sound experience

Samsung E-panel technology like Ultra FilterBright Plus, 600Hz Subfield Motion, .001 response time, and Mega dynamic contrast ratio

Anynet+ (CEC standard) technology makes system control of compatible A/V devices like a Blu-ray player or HTIB system a one-touch operation

One-year parts and labor warranty
See more technical details


Best TV I've Ever Owned, February 5, 2010

By Craig (New York)
I've had my Samsung PN58B550 for a week now and so far, so good. I must say there is a big difference between it and the 42 inch Philips model it replaced in size and picture quality, making it worth evey penny I paid (though I wish Amazon hadn't ended its price protection guarantee program and dropped the price $115 days after I bought it). The picture and colors are flawless. For those who do not like the red Touch of Color border on some other Samsung models, it's grey on this one and you can't really see it anyway. This baby is big and beautiful. It weights 100 lbs., so don't even think of moving it without two people. If anyone wants advice on the best picture adjustments for this unit, head over to CNET's review of the similar PN58B650.


I went plasma over LCD because LCD still hasn't caught up to plasma in overall picture quality including black levels, color depth, lack of motion blur, and available viewing angles. The main knock against plasma technology was risk of Burn-in, but that was a first generation plasma problem. It is a thing of the past for modern plasmas and image retention is temporary if it ever happens at all. Samsung includes pixel shift technology to eliminate that issue too.

A common complaint I've heard about some Samsung TVs is a loud buzzing noise. I'm happy to report that my Samsung makes no noise whatsoever. Either that problem was only in early runs of Samsung's latest models and has subsequently been fixed, or some people have dog hearing. Lastly, as always you can't go wrong buying from Amazon. If you can find anyone who has it cheaper, then buy it from them. But you won't.
 
Finally, I can watch something other than Americans Can Dance, February 5, 2010


By Bruce
The PN58B is my first entry into large scale HDTV. Very impressive to say the least. They say football and television were made for each other, but HD is like a fine marinara sauce over pasta...just enhances the end product greatly. Can't wait to watch Tom Brady in the Superbowl next week! :-)

Great HDTV, February 1, 2010

By Thomas E. Bennett (Cold Spring, Ky. United States)
I bought the Samsung PN58B550 58-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV from Best Buy about 3 months ago. I would have bought it from Amazon but Best Buy was offering free delivery and recycling of my old TV. Since my old TV was a huge rear projection set the free recycling was the clincher for me. However, I would not have bought the Samsung without the reviews I found on Amazon and elsewhere.


I was especially concerned about those who had experienced buzzing noises or other problems. Therefore, I listened carefully for buzzing on the display model. It had no buzzing and, I am happy to say, the Samsung I received has no buzzing either. I have had no problems with my set at all other than having to adjust the picture to suit my viewing preferences. Out of the box I found the colors to be over saturated. However, adjustments were very easy to make without having to consult the manual as I found the remote and TV menu interface to be very intuitive. Adjusting a TV set's picture is something I naturally expect as the factory normally has the color and brightness and contrast turned too high so the set will look good on the display floor.

Some of the reviews I read also knocked the sound of the Samsung. I have found the sound to be quite adequate. You don't get true surround sound, of course, nor deep bass, but that should not be expected of this set or any HDTV. When I want surround sound and/or deep bass, I use my A/V receiver and speakers.

The set's picture is very nice with good detail and blacks are very good. You can get deeper blacks with other sets but it will cost you a few thousand more. I doubt that you can find a better HDTV for the price of the Samsung. I know I could not.

The only caution for those considering buying this set, or any plasma set for that matter, is that it is very reflective. Plan on watching in a dim or dark room as a result.

Good value but you can hear the buzz when it is quiet, January 31, 2010

By Robert Schussel (vallejo, ca United States)
For the money about $1,600 (at the time I posted this) the 58in PN58550 is a very good value.


Please note that I am comparing this set to my series 9 55 inch Samsung with local LED dimming--one of the best sets made.

Some Cons

1) This set will clobber most AM radios in your home due to radio frequency interference from the ionized plasma.

2) The buzzing from this set can be heard when the room is quiet . If you are a perfectionistic do not buy it. I don't think the average person will care.

3) The picture is not as good as the best sets that cost twice as much. However it is still very good.

4) This set is 3in deeps while the newer ones are thinner--however thinner sets tend to have poorer sound if you use the built in speakers..

5) Lacks some of the internet connectivity of some newer sets.

Pros

1) No LCD set of the same size has as good a picture in this price range--$1,600 as of this review.

2) This set has most of the same adjustments available as Samsungs best sets--but the picture is not quite as sharp nor are the colors as subtle.

3) At this price point this is one of the best values.

4) Has a base that can swivel

5) Esthetically it is a nice looking set.

6) Has enough HDMI ports (4) to satisfiy most people.

Bob
 
58B550 a winner!, January 22, 2010

By R. Garrett "Adventure Rider" (New Mexico, USA)
It's easy to get bogged down in specs when it comes to TVs but the proof is in the viewing, and specs don't say it all. As an engineer I do a lot of research before purchasing electronics and ended up with this TV because of reviewer comments from multiple sources and reading the spec sheets. The Samsung PN58B550 58-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV is an all-around solid buy that won't disappoint you when you weigh price against picture quality and reliability. Bells and whistles such as Internet TV are good for the marketing department but often go unused or unrealized because of the total system overhead in terms of learning to use it, computer system interface requirements and the performance uncertainties due to a lack of enough industry standards to ensure compatibility across component brands. Also, not every home can provide the bandwidth necessary to get a high quality video and audio presentation, which is my case. So, I chose this particular TV because I'm not willing to iron out all of the wrinkles associated with higher end TVs that, although providing slightly better picture quality and more features, are not what I want now (maybe later when my ISP upgrades the bandwidth and I have more time to deal with configuring the system). The 58B550 picture is beautiful in my dimly lit theater and there is a reasonable expectation that it will work well when I upgrade my wireless Internet to 80211n spec although I haven't checked the blogs yet for other peoples' experiences. The plasma image is smooth during fast pans, unlike some LCD screens in this price and size range, and shows accurate color with nice shadow details and contrast. I bought a 40 inch Samsung LCD set for my family room which is brightly lit, and am satisfied with it for daily general viewing in that environment. I use a good quality audio system when viewing all but snapshot news broadcasts or other quick features, mainly because I want the low end frequency response and volume not provided by the built-in TV speakers, which is typical. Two people are required to lift it for mounting on the wall, and probably for about anything except for removing it from the box. BTW, when the freight company delivered the TV, the driver brought it in and tested the set for operation before asking me to sign the receipt, which is top notch service from a freight carrier. My experience with Amazon.com has been very positive.

Images Product



0 comments:

Post a Comment